Friday, August 5, 2011

Article: Ancient Moves for Orthopedic Problems

Fabulous article.

There are many reasons why people practice yoga. I do it for stress relief and to keep my joints limber as possible. But after a recent injury, I realized that yoga is so much more than that.

A couple months back I obtained a stress fracture on my second metatarsal. Walking was painful, even when my toes were wrapped and stuck in a walking cast, and later on, tennis shoes. The moment I was cleared to do light impact exercise (yoga, stationary bike, etc.) I hobbled over to Bethesda and did my thing. Of course, I couldn't do some postures, but afterwards, I didn't need my toes wrapped up. Five weeks later, I walked all over the hilly streets of San Fransisco with no problem. I even did some light hiking around Mt. Tamalpais. I was amazed. The human body is so delicate. You only get one. Take care of it.

For those of you that practice yoga on a regular basis, have you noticed a change in your physical abilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment